INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Duty station: Damascus-based, with frequent field visits to the area of operations
Starting date: 20/12/2022
Contract duration: 12 months (4 months probation period)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: at least 3 Protection Activity Managers
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS officially registered and entered in Syria in May 2019 and works under the umbrella of an MoU with the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC). Currently has two sub-MoU with line Ministries (MoSAL and MoE).
INTERSOS is implementing a program that encompasses Protection, Health and Education activities, along with some integrations with Livelihoods and Non-Food Items. INTERSOS is active in the governorates of Rural Damascus,Hama and Southern Idleb, with possible expansion to other Government-controlled areas.
INTERSOS is member of the Protection Strategic Advisory Group (SAG), it is member of the Inter-agency Referral WG, and is representing the INGOs in the Accountability to Affected Population (AAP) Working Group.
General purpose of the position
Provide technical guidance and advice to protection staffs ensuring the different components of the programme are delivered according to internal guidelines and in line with international standards and principles, in order to achieve mission’s goals effectively, according to INTERSOS vision and values.
In collaboration with the HoM, define and coordinate the implementation of the protection strategy of the mission.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Coordination and support:
- Contribute to design the protection strategy for the mission in line with the specific context and provide technical support and assistance for the implementation of protection related activities.
- Contextualize and adapt internal and global guidelines, developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) based on context and guaranteeing these are rolled out and known by staff.
- Ensure cohesion and harmonization of protection activities and services across the different implementation sites within the mission, taking into consideration the specific socio-cultural patterns of each area.
- Responsible for the effective implementation of all Protection projects in the mission and ensuring that all Protection programming is in line with International standards and Best Practices.
- Deliver training and workshops to non-protection INTERSOS staff to build skills and knowledge of protection principles and enable them to mainstream protection in different sectors.
- Assess regularly protection needs and gaps of target populations in current and prospective areas of operations, periodically update the protection situation analysis and inform the programme teams accordingly.
- Create opportunities for experience sharing and learning within the protection team in order to strengthen cooperation and collaboration.
- Provide strategic protection analysis and development of periodic trend reports (including aspects of conflict analysis, gender and risk management) from programme experience to improve development, implementation and policy and advocacy activities.
- Develop context sensitive M&E tools for effective data collection from projects and regularly analyse the data and produce reports that feed into programming.
- Ensure that protection data is collected, archived, processed, analysed and disseminated in ethical modalities, in line with internal data protection protocols.
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits and provide support tools to monitor quality of programme implementation.
- Identify opportunities for new protection interventions and support assessments and developments of new project proposals.
- In coordination with HQ and the Protection Adviser support the development of complaints mechanisms for beneficiaries and make sure complaints are addressed properly.
- In coordination with HQ and the Protection Adviser follow up on the implementation of the Child Protection (CP) and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies.
Supervision and Staff Management:
- Directly supervise, coach and mentor Protection Staff under her/his line management and conduct regular performance reviews (IRP).
- Review work plans of Protection Staff under her/his line management and define priorities together with Protection Project Managers.
- Develop capacity building plan for Protection staff and Support in conducting training and workshops to strengthen their skills on specific protection topics identified.
- Organize ad hoc protection meetings with Protection Staff under her/his line management and other relevant project staff to share challenges and priorities and develop action plans to address them.
Advocacy, Networking and partnerships:
- In coordination with HOM, ensure that main protection concerns are brought to relevant stakeholders to advocate
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations.
- Maintain effective relationships with all the AoR of the Protection sector and related working groups at national level.
- Ensure that Protection Staff under her/his line management maintain productive relationships with the sub sector at field level.
- Enhance the network with all the relevant protection related stakeholders.- Coordinate with other internal departments to guarantee good collaboration.
- Network with Protection Coordinators from other missions to share best practices and resources.
Required profile and experience
BA in relevant field (Social Science, Psychology, Social Work or other fields related to social development and humanitarian work)
- Minimum of five years of relevant implementation experience in the protection-related sector, preferably within INGO, and three years for higher education degree (Masters/LLM).
- Substantial experience in Protection, including Child Protection, MHPSS, PwDs, GBV.
- Demonstrable technical expertise in the assessment of, design, and delivery of relevant Protection programming.
- Strong experience in training and capacity-building on Protection technical areas with a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience with participatory approaches and working with vulnerable groups, including gender mainstreaming and with persons with disabilities.
- Knowledge of the legal framework and international standards that governs INTERSOS operations, as required by local and national governments and by major donors (EU, UN, Bilateral Donors).
- Good knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian Principles and Protection frameworks, tools, and minimum standards.
- Strong program management skills, with substantial experience managing large portfolios of programming.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in internal and external coordination and representation of programs.
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively.
- Professional, hard-working, and a self-motivated person.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Flexibility and can cope with stressful workload and working with limited resources.
- Very strong interpersonal and teamwork skills; collaborative approach with the ability to work within different cultural environments.
- Positive and solutions-oriented leader focused on team-building, problem-solving, and support to the teams and beneficiary communities.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.