INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Project Manager – AICS da inserire nella sua operatività in Sudan del Sud . Durata 18 mesi. Scadenza candidature 01/12/2022
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager – AICS
Duty station: Juba and Eastern Equatoria
Starting date: 01/01/2023
Contract duration: 18 months
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: Field team
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
In 2020, across South Sudan, about two-thirds of the country’s population (7.5 million) remain in need of humanitarian assistance. In recent years, the situation has become even harder since humanitarian funding has significantly decreased, making the humanitarian crisis in South Sudan a forgotten one.
The severity of the crisis is deepened by the consequences of COVID19. The health situation has been particularly worrying for IDP living in closed sites known as PoC sites given the poor conditions of the sites including overcrowdedness, poor hygiene, lack of safe drinking water, clean latrines, and hygiene kits.
Beyond the health consequences related to the virus, restrictive measures including the closure of borders, limited movement across states and closure of basic services have severely impacted the most vulnerable people, particularly in terms of food security and nutrition. South Sudan had 61 percent of its population in a state of food crisis (IPC +3) in 2019. In september 2020, the floods have put an additional strain on food security, projections expecting at least 30% of the country (particularly in Upper Nile and Jonglei) to pass to a state of acute food crisis (IPC+4). Additionally, the disruption of COVID-19 will likely result in disruption of health and nutrition services. This has heightened the risk of death for more than 292,000 children suffering from severe acute malnutrition this year and might increase the number of children suffering from moderate acute malnutrition (MAM) that previsions, prior to COVID19, estimated at already 1 million children.
General purpose of the position
This position is aimed at ensuring the prompt and effective delivery of the AICS – Italian cooperation project in Kapoeta East – Eastern Equatoria (other locations to be defined). By the end of the assignment, the post holder is expected to have:
- Contributed to ensuring the children targeted by the project are accessing quality education services through the implementation of the project;
- Managed the AICS team to ensure the achievement of all activities enumerated in the project document – team management includes overseeing recruitment processes, prompt payment of salaries, team work planning, staff capacity development and performance evaluation;
- Ensured the technical quality of the programme across all locations paying particular attention to the learning outcomes of children supported;
- In coordination with Logistics and Finance managing all financial resources available to the project – ensuring sound documentation is in place for all procurements and internal and donor procedures are applied as applicable;
- Ensured data is collected to respond to all project indicators in a timely manner for bi-weekly, interim and final reporting;
- Ensured timely submission of all reports due at state level and contributed to country-level reporting (5Ws, interim and final reports);
- Proactively sought new funding opportunities, taking the lead on programme development in the education sector;
- Cultivated and maintained relationships with relevant external actors, including the Protection cluster (of which INTERSOS is a Strategic Advisory Group SAG member), UNICEF, other national and international organizations, donors etc.
- On top of that following regular meetings with AICS – Italian cooperation and keeping a relationship with the donor.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Supervise implementation of programme activities in a timely manner
- Support budget management and financial accountability for the programme, including budget holding responsibility and a supervisory role in overall grant coordination.
- In support of the Finance department oversees the production of and adherence to financial plans, cash forecasts etc.
- In coordination with Logistic, ensure they follow all logistic procedures and policies in the field as required
- Ensure data is collected regularly to respond to agreed indicators
- Develop budgets and project proposals, in close coordination with the field-based PMs and Programme coordinator and support departments
- Carry out rapid assessments to investigate further programming opportunities in South Sudan;
- Conduct regular field-monitoring trips to programme locations to ensure technical quality of the programme, as well as programmatic compliance;
- Build capacity of INTERSOS team, including training and mentoring of the staffs;
- Work with the mission Protection team to strengthen the Protection sector in INTERSOS South Sudan;
- Ensure 5W matrix submitted to the National Cluster IMO as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Actively participate and represent INTERSOS in the South Sudan National Education Cluster
- Represent the Education program with national authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, donors, etc. ;
- Ensure coordination with other INTERSOS programme teams and support departments
- Recruit and train national project team members as required to achieve the project objectives;
- Support administration department to ensure all administrative procedures are followed for the staff – updated personal details on file, accurate ToR for each staff member, payrolls etc.
Required profile and experience
Degree or/and Masters university degree in education or social science
- At least 3 years experience as Project Manager
- Experience with the donor (AICS) is an asset
Readiness and ability to travel around South Sudan according to the need of the project
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent written and spoken Italian
Flexibility and spirit of adoption in living in remote field locations
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.