INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Community Engagement Specialist da inserire nella sua operatività in Iraq . Durata 6 mesi. Scadenza candidature 29/12/2022
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Community Engagement Specialist
Duty station: Erbil with frequent travel to Federal Iraq
Starting date: 01/01/2023
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: None
Dependents: Accompanied duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been present in Iraq since 2003 and currently operates across Ninewa, Salah Al Din (SAD), Erbil, and Sulaymaniyah Governorates. INTERSOS thematic sectors of intervention are Protection, Education and Health. The INTERSOS coordination office is in Erbil with bases located in Tikrit, Mosul, Telafar and Sulaymaniyah and programming presence in other areas of Ninewa, SAD and the Kurdistan region. As of 2021, INTERSOS has over 340 national staff, 16 expat staff and over 200 volunteers working in Iraq. By applying an integrated programmatic approach, INTERSOS provides lifesaving services and supports the creation of durable solutions for women, men, girls and boys in IDP, refugee and host communities in its areas of intervention.
The context in Iraq is transitioning from humanitarian/emergency to a durable solutions and development phase, which requires a longer, more sustainable approach to programming including a strong emphasis on community engagement in order to strengthen existing community resources to respond to protection and other needs.
General purpose of the position
The Community Engagement specialist will play a leading role in refining and guiding implementation of a cross-sectoral plan for INTERSOS Iraq mission on community engagement, in line with the organization’s global and mission strategy to strengthen the community-based approach, enhance relevance, and consolidate efforts to be accountable and transparent. The role will include to review and strengthen current mission activities related to awareness-raising, outreach, and local advocacy; promote community participation and feedback in all stages of project cycle management; contribute to enhancing accountability mechanisms; recommend how to better integrate a community engagement approach between sectors and projects, and identify the best organizational HR and management structures to do so; and develop community engagement-related guidelines & resources as well as capacity-building plans for mission staff.
Main responsibilities and tasks
1. In coordination with HoM, Programme Coordinator, sectoral Technical coordinators and Technical Units in HQ, refine and implement a strategy to enhance INTERSOS’ ability to engage with communities in a participative and inclusive manner.
2. Ensure community-based programming fits within the sectoral strategies (Protection, Health, Education) of the mission, in a way which enhances integration of activities and projects.
3. Coordinate with mission programme managers and technical specialists to promote community engagement in all our activities.
4. Support in building the capacity of the INTERSOS team in community engagement and design and implementation of community-based programming, including through training, daily mentoring and technical support, and provision of guidelines and resources.
1. Contribute to the design of community-based activities as part of the broader programming and accountability strategy of the mission and provide technical support and assistance to its implementation.
2. Design and develop participatory approaches of engaging with the community in a meaningful manner relevant to INTERSOS’ programming, strategy and areas of intervention in Iraq.
3. Provide training and mentoring to the teams in community mapping and monitor implementation to ensure accurate documentation of all groups and community resources relevant to protection, education, health and other needs.
4. Support in the drafting and adaptation of guidelines on community-based activities, including best practice and standard operating procedures for the establishment of community groups and community centers; assist in the rolling out of the guidelines to staff.
5. Support nationalization of the Community Engagement Specialist position by implementing a capacity-building plan for the national staff member to assume the role; provide daily mentoring and gradually transfer responsibilities to the staff member.
6. In coordination with MEAL managers and programme and sectoral technical staff, contribute to pre- and post- tests, satisfaction surveys and other efforts to promote accountability and measure the impact of INTERSOS programming.
7. Provide guidance on engaging with the community on sensitive issues such as Gender-Based Violence to promote behaviour and attitude change, and on ensuring engagement and participation of specific populations such as people with disabilities, elderly, and other vulnerable groups.
8. In coordination with the Technical Coordinators, design and support relevant staff in the roll out of standardised orientation, training and capacity-building for community mobilization/outreach volunteers.
9. Contribute to reviewing and harmonising a standard package of community awareness materials on relevant subjects, including protection topics, gender equity, accountability and PSEA.
10. Provide technical and practical support to community focal points and relevant staff in the design and implementation of community mobilisation efforts, initiatives and events.
11. Contribute to participatory AGD-sensitive analysis at community level and AGD-sensitive interventions in response to community needs.
12. Contribute to the global ongoing works aiming at strengthening community based approaches in INTERSOS, through regular engagement with HQ Technical Units and punctual inputs.
Required profile and experience
- BA in relevant fields (Social Science, Social Work, Human Rights, etc).
- Master’s Degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience with INGOs or NNGOs;
- Demonstrated theoretical, technical and practical knowledge and experience of working in community engagement and community-based programming, including in conflict and post-conflict environments.
- Good knowledge and expertise in working with communities directly, including in environments with social cohesion issues;
- Experience developing and facilitating training programs and guidelines;
- Experience and understanding of protection issues, gender equality and women’s empowerment, and issues affecting marginalized populations, preferably in the Middle East;
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, INTERSOS MHPSS Platform is a plus);
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills.
- Fluency in English;
- Arabic is preferred (written and spoken).
- A high degree of flexibility and ability to work in stressful environments;
- High confidentiality, respect and non-discriminatory attitude;
- Diplomacy skills in networking with partners, authorities and donors;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Strong time management skills, resourcefulness and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate into a multicultural team.
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.