INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Head of Mission da inserire nella sua operatività in Libia e Tunisia . Durata 18 mesi. Scadenza candidature 29/12/2022
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Mission
Duty station: Libya and Tunisia
Starting date: 01/01/2023
Contract duration: 18 months
Reporting to: Regional Director
Supervision of: Senior management team (SMT) members
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
In the context of the Libya crisis, INTERSOS is providing quality services to respond to child protection and education needs in underserved and vulnerable areas in the Western Eastern and Southern parts of the Country.
Main focus of the Libya program revolves around an innovative and community responsive approach, where community centres tackle the needs of the identified children and families through an integrated needs-based intervention.
INTERSOS started to work in Libya in 2018 and is currently present in the south (Sebha, Brak Al Shati, Qatrun), in the West (Grater Tripoli, Tajourah and Gaser benghashir) and in the East (Ajdabiya, Tobruk and Benghazi) of the country, intervening in the sectors of Education, Protection, Health and WASH.
Main objectives of the mission are:
- Increase availability of and access to inclusive and integrated social and protection services and strengthen community-based child protection.
- Multi-sector static and mobile services for children. INTERSOS established 3 multi-sector service centers, to provide child protection, education and health services to children and youth from 6 to 21 years old. The centers are operational in Tripoli, west of the country, in Sabha, in the south of Libya and in Ajdabiya, in the east of Libya.
- To reinforce community ownership of social protection initiatives.
- To contribute towards increased access to services for communities and households by improving health, education and social protection related community/public infrastructure.
In view of growing needs affecting displaced populations in Tunisia, the mission is actively positioning itself to be part of the response.
General purpose of the position
The general purpose of the post is to represent INTERSOS in Libya and Tunisia, and act in accordance with specific directions from and supervision of the Programme Dept.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- To represent the organization legally and promote its mandate in the countries of intervention. Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country administrative and legislative frameworks.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs, partners and other stakeholders and develop strategic partnerships overall.
- Security management and analysis.
- Define strategic orientations for the development of the mission.
- Translation of strategic macro objectives into concrete actions .
- Monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new strategy of interventions
- Actively develop Intersos operations in Tunisia;
- Achieve financial sustainability. Support the definition of the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts.
- Oversees the good functioning of the support services.
- Oversees the quality implementation of projects as per internal and external standards and requirements.
- Responsible for the development and promotion of communication and advocacy materials highlighting the beneficiaries needs and the role of the organization in addressing them.
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance.
- Ensures the correct flow of operational information within the mission and with the region and headquarters.
Required profile and experience
University degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related fields.
At least 3 years of professional experience as Head of Mission, Country Director for International NGO or at least 5 years in roles of increasing level of responsibility
- Solid experience in managing multinational staff.
- Strong fundraiser.
- Sound experience in managing large multi-donors’ programs.
- Proven capacities in liaising with local authorities, donors, and relevant stakeholders and to adapt language and behaviour to the different interlocutors.
- Previous experience in managing complex security environments.
- Proven experience in strategically planning and negotiating humanitarian access.
- Sound knowledge of international donors in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Previous experience in the Region/area of operation is an asset.
- Remote management experience.
- Previous experience with Intersos is a plus.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Arabic, French and Italian will be considered an asset
- Flexibility, availability and adaptability.
- Manage conflicts in a constructive way.
- Coaching skills: Support and advise colleagues and contribute to their development.
- Ability to deal with authorities and donors.
- Proactive and collaborative approach to work.
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player.
- Contributes to the development of tools and methods that might be useful in the field of work.
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams.
- Willingness to travel frequently, also into remote areas.
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.