Fondazione Terre des hommes Italia – Onlus sta selezionando un/a Country Director da inserire nella sua operatività in Ucraina . Durata 12 mesi. Scadenza candidature 12/02/2023
Position: Country Director
Starting date: ASAP
Duty station: Kiev
Terre des Hommes Italia (TDH IT), member of Terre des hommes International Federation, works in 21 developing countries implementing projects and activities for the benefit of more than 3 million people.
TDH IT implements relief and mid-term programmes and projects in the fields of education, primary health, protection, PSS and child rights.
TDH IT is engaged in supporting the Ukrainian population affected by the war : since February 28th, starting working to support Ukraine Refugees in Poland and supporting Health Facilities in Ukraine. To date TDH IT is working in Ukraine with winterization, health project, protection/child protection, Education in Emergency projects.
Purpose and Scope of the position
The Country Director for Ukraine is responsible for overall leadership and management of TDH IT operations in the country, including stewardship of resources, staff safety and security, program quality and accountability, and performance management. The Country Director is TDH IT principal representative to the government of Ukraine, donors, international organizations, other NGOs and the media. The Country Director is expected to respond effectively to a constantly changing environment with effective humanitarian and eventual recovery programs, implemented directly and alongside partner organizations. The Country Director will lead country program staff in pursuing the outcomes identified in Emergency Response Strategy, bringing them together to deliver high-quality, cost-effective programming results. The successful candidate will enjoy developing networks to build partnerships and diversify program resources. Given the operating environment, the Country Director is expected to be attentive to risk management. S/he will be directly responsible for the overall coordination and strategic direction of the country program; leading country program teams to identify, design and deliver responsive, high-quality programs; ensuring efficient management of public grants and private funds for results, compliance and focused, timely reporting; and oversight of financial management and compliance systems.
The Country Director oversees all TDH IT operations in Ukraine. Reporting to the Senior Program Manager at HQ in Milan , this position will receives support from headquarters staff in the areas of program quality, safety and security management, finance, external affairs.
Security is volatile in Ukraine, and this role requires someone with strong context analysis and security and access experience.
The successful candidate will have prior experience with program and systems start-up in complex insecure environments, and who has proven skills leading strategy development.
The main responsibilities are:
Leadership and Representation
- Lead the country program by maintaining open and professional relations with colleagues, promoting a strong team spirit, and providing guidance, oversight and resources to enable staff to perform successfully.
- Develop and carry out strategies that result in strong representation with: Ukraine Government authorities at various levels; donors (including institutional, non-institutional and private), European Union; UN and other international organizations; international and local NGOs; and networks such as INGO coordination mechanisms and appropriate working groups.
- Initiate and sustain strong, mutually beneficial, and authentic partnerships with Ukrainian organizations.
Strategic Direction, Program Quality and Growth
- Set the strategic vision and direction of the country program to serve more people with the most responsive and highest quality programming possible and secure the resources necessary to do so.
- Ensure the strategic vision and direction of the country program is aligned with TDH IT Mission and Vision.
- Identify opportunities for appropriate expansion and growth of programs.
Safety and Security Management
- Take primary responsibility for overall management of safety and security for the country program.
- Oversee the management of all security issues, including appropriate response to emergency situations as they arise.
- Keep security, evacuation and contingency plans current and accessible to country program staff.
- Ensure that the projects implemented on the mission are properly carried out. You will suggest new operations and development tracks for the mission and will develop resources planning and fundraising, in order to deploy TDH IT strategy.
- Ensure that the mission is adequately staffed and supervise the teams
- Develop external influence of TDH IT ( and the external representation of the organization (events, media) in the Programme’s geographical scope.
Logistical, administrative and financial monitoring:
- Ensure that logistical and administrative practices in place respect TDH IT procedures and formats, and are in compliance with donors’ rules and regulations..
Technical monitoring :
- Ensure that technical practices respect TDH IT procedures and formats and are in compliance with TDH IT operational framework and policy.
- Ensure that information is properly circulated between Headquarters and the fi-eld and ensure that due deadlines are respected.
Qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Strong commitment to the aims, principles, and values of TDH IT and of humanitarian aid.
- At least 5 years’ experience at key management positions within international organizations. Strong management experience in humanitarian and emergency programs.
- Experience working on programme and country office start up.
- Able to work in a tensed and volatile context with strict security measures.
- Excellent organizational skills, co-ordination, and transfer of knowledge
- Motivated to set up of partnerships with local and international partners.
- Proven experience in negotiations with institutional donors, project writing and reporting
- Proven experience delivering appropriate levels oversight of a portfolio consisting of a variety of complex, high-value donor-funded projects.
- Acquaintance with main donors (ECHO-UN-EU-Italian Cooperation) procedures
- Excellent IT skills with high proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and hardware skills.
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian are an asset.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts. Capacity to make accurate self-assessment
TDH Italia has a zero-tolerance policy towards SEAH and is not willing to employ any person who has been found guilty of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment. Ethics is part of the annual performance appraisal.
Salary according to experience and TDH IT salary scale. Since the position advertised for is unaccompanied, TDH will not be responsible for providing benefits for the selected candidate’s family members.
Only applications from holders of passports allowing easy entry into the Country will be considered.
How to apply
Interested candidates possessing required experience and skills are invited to send an updated CV and a motivation letter including at least two references to email@example.com quoting in the object of the email the reference UKR/CR/2023
Applications that do not meet the above-mentioned requirements will not be considered.
The deadline for receiving applications is the 12th of February 2023. Applications received after that date will not be considered.
We apologize in advance as only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. TDH IT reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date of the published vacancy in case a suitable candidate is identified