INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Country Programme Coordinator da inserire nella sua operatività in Iraq . Durata 12 mesi. Scadenza candidature 14/03/2023
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Country Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Erbil, with regular visits to field locations in KRI and Federal Iraq
Starting date: 23/04/2023
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 3 Expat Programme Managers, 1 Expat Grants & Reporting Manager, 1 Community Engagement Specialist
Dependents: Accompanied duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been present in Iraq since 2003 and currently operates across Ninewa, Salah Al Din (SAD), Erbil, and Sulaymaniyah Governorates. INTERSOS thematic sectors of intervention are Protection, Education and Health. The INTERSOS coordination office is in Erbil with bases located in Tikrit, Mosul, Telafar and Sulaymaniyah and programming presence in other areas of Ninewa, SAD and the Kurdistan region. As of 2021, INTERSOS has over 340 national staff, 18 expat staff and over 200 volunteers working in Iraq. By applying an integrated programmatic approach, INTERSOS provides essential lifesaving services to women, men, girls and boys in IDP, refugee and host communities in its areas of intervention.
In the Protection sector, INTERSOS is one of the main actors in Iraq, providing a comprehensive package of protection services spanning both in-camp and out-of-camp locations. The services include protection monitoring (flagging urgent protection concerns and trends to UNHCR and the protection cluster, including beneficiary profiling and direct referral to specialized services), MHPSS, case management (for GBV, Child Protection and PwSN), and legal assistance, counselling and court representation. Current health programming includes supporting the provision of free and integrated primary health care (PHC) as well as Mobile Medical Teams (MMTs), ensuring availability of essential medicines, implementing a pilot project to strengthen non-communicable disease diagnosis and treatment in primary health clinics, and facilitating outreach health services through community health volunteers (CHVs). In Education, INTERSOS has supported access to formal and non-formal education for Syrian refugees and Iraqi IDPs in camp and urban settings, particularly in Kurdistan.
The current context in Iraq provides an exciting opportunity for its programming to transition from what has largely been traditional humanitarian interventions (during and after the conflict with ISIS in significant parts of the country) to longer-term durable solutions, stabilization and development interventions.
General purpose of the position
The Country Programme Coordinator (CPC) is responsible to support Iraq mission in the development, implementation, and monitoring of the country programme in line with INTERSOS Country Strategy, plans and policies, and in strong coordination with the Head of Mission (HoM) and Deputy Regional Director (DRD). The Country Program Coordinator supports the Iraq mission in the design and startup of new programme interventions and the implementation of ongoing projects, in coordination with INTERSOS technical referents and under the technical supervision of the Deputy Regional Director, while contributing to regular engagement with local stakeholders and main donors at mission level.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Country Programme Coordinator is responsible for the following duties:
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Play a key role in the development and definition of the Country Strategy of the mission under the supervision and coordination of the HoM.
- Lead the development of new concept notes and project proposals (design of the project rationale, logframe, narrative and budget in cooperation with finance department), under supervision of the HoM and in collaboration with technical referents and Deputy Regional Director (DRD).
- Supervise, coordinate, and provide quality support to INTERSOS Programme Managers (PMs).
- Ensure a quality implementation of INTERSOS country programme in coordination with INTERSOS Technical Referents and DRD.
- Coordinate and supervise the timely and quality submission of reports to donors with the support of the DRD.
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings.
Specific responsibilities & tasks:
Programme implementation & supervision, quality control and reporting
- Supervise and keep up to date work-plans and related financial plans of projects with the contribution of Programme Managers and relevant team members, ensuring timely and quality implementation.
- Guarantee the application of INTERSOS procedures and donor rules for reporting and implementation, in collaboration with the HoM and DRD.
- With the support of Country Finance Coordinator, supervise the management of budgets in line with donor and INTERSOS guidelines, supporting budget and programme revisions when needed.
- Provide guidance and support to PMs on work-plans, budgets and spending, and monitoring of the implementation of activities and achievement of results.
- Support the MEAL Coodinator in the set up and supervision of the projects’ MEAL plans, under the HoM’s supervision.
- In coordination with HoM, DRD, and Grants & Reporting Manager, ensure all reports are properly drafted, revised, and submitted on time to donors.
- Monitor the level of progress achieved by each project, including by regular visits to project sites.
- Provide supervision and feedback on the monthly Project Appraisal Tool (PAT), both at a technical and financial level
- Conduct regular field visits to provide support and supervision to PMs and other field staff.
Human Resource Management
- Line management and support of the PMs, Grants & Reporting Manager, and Community Engagement Specialist including by supervising their performance, strengthening their capacities through training and mentoring, and ensuring a regular evaluation through the Internal Review Process (IRP) tools.
- In line with INTERSOS policies and in collaboration with HR department, participate in the recruitment of the PMs, Grants & Reporting Manager, and Community Engagement Specialist, as well as other programme-related staff as requested.
- Be available to support and advise the PMs in their supervision of staff under their line management, as required and in coordination with the HR Department.
- Ensure that staff under his/her line management respect INTERSOS rules and regulations and adhere to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics, in coordination with the HoM, HR Department and other relevant managers.
Programme strategy and project design
- Support the HoM in the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and programme, providing updated information, inputs, and recommendation for new and on-going interventions in the country.
- Contribute to the design of a Country Strategy for the mission, in line with INTERSOS Global Strategy and in consultation with expat and national staff.
- Lead the design and drafting of new project proposals in coordination with Technical referents, Programme Managers, and the DRD.
Representation & Coordination
- In coordination with the HoM, establish and maintain collaborative relations with donors, project stakeholders and other organisations working in the project areas.
- Together with the HoM and INTERSOS Technical referents, participate in meetings with relevant donor’s program and finance officers at central or field level.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national and subnational level.
Required profile and experience
Masters Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years of experience with international humanitarian and development organizations, of which at least two years should have been in senior positions in the field.
- Demonstrated experience in programme strategy, design and implementation.
- In-depth knowledge of donors’ requirements and proven experience in the management of funds from a variety of donors (preferably both humanitarian and development donors).
- Demonstrated experience in managing and working within large multicultural staff teams.
- Previous experience in the Middle East region (desirable).
- Experience in protracted conflict/post-conflict environments transitioning from humanitarian to durable solutions & stabilization contexts (highly desirable).
- Thorough knowledge of all the phases of PCM.
- Demonstrated experience in project proposal writing
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), including experience facilitating and encouraging effective team communication
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and adaptability and flexibility in stressful environments
- Ability to manage human, technical, administrative and financial resources
- Experience in supervising a team
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Diplomacy skills
- Ability to delegate and work in a team
- Flexibility & adaptability to a changing work environment
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.