WEWORLD sta selezionando un/a Gaza Head of Base da inserire nella sua operatività in Palestina. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 12/04/2023
Position: Gaza Head of Base
Report to: Country Representative
Works in coordination with: Country Management Team (Program Manager, Operations Manager, Country Finance Manager, Procurement & Logistic Manager)
Location: Gaza City (and Jerusalem, Ramallah), Occupied Palestinian Territory
Type of contract: a first 6 (six) months collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 6 (six) months; renewable for 1 year subject to availability of funds
Starting date: June 2023
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Application deadline: 12/04/2023
Family Duty Station: NO
WeWorld, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
Since 1967, occupation and political stagnation have directly affected the socio-economic situation of the Palestinian population in the West Bank. The movement restrictions policies are severely limiting Palestinians’ access to essential services and markets and leading to serious and negative impact upon all aspects of their lives, and mainly their livelihoods.
Palestine is a sui generis case for aid delivery and cooperation, due notably to the occupation and the fragmentation of the territory. Efficiency and performance of development cooperation continue to be challenged by the Israeli occupation of Palestine, in all sectors NGOs are involved in. Palestine is divided into the Gaza Strip (under the control of de facto authorities not recognized by the international community), East Jerusalem (a de facto annexation by Israel also not recognized) and the West Bank (over which the Palestinian Authority (PA) has entire control only on Area A, i.e. 18% of the West Bank). The PA has therefore only a very limited authority, both in terms of territory and legal jurisdiction.
The situation of the PA remains challenging, with the persistence of a systemic fiscal crisis and crisis of political legitimacy following the suspension of the Palestinian Legislative Council in 2007 and the absence of national elections subsequently. In July 2013 direct talks were resumed between Israelis and Palestinians in the context of the Middle East Peace Process with the ambitious aim of achieving -agreement on all final status issues within nine months. The failure of the peace talking and the operation “Protective Edge” leaded to a tenser escalation, for which international NGOs are challenged to respond with innovative and sustainable cooperation strategies.
Purpose of the Role
The Gaza Head of Base is responsible for planning and coordinating smooth and quality implementation of program and operations of WeWorld in the Gaza Strip. They will ensure compliance with organizational standard procedures related to security, human resources, logistic, etc. They supervise the overall functioning of Gaza office. They represent WeWorld at Gaza Strip level, with all relevant stakeholders.
Main functions and duties
- Representation vis-a-vis local authorities, international and national organizations and stakeholders
- Establish and update contact details of potential Donors active in the area of activity
- Provides a quarterly accomplished work plan of fundraising and external communication activities with relevant stakeholders in his/her area of management
- Participate in Donor meetings at local and, if required, at national level and communicate relevant information to the Country Representative and Heads of Sectors
- Participate in inter-NGO Coordination meetings, Clusters and those of UN Agencies (OCHA, UNDP, UNICEF, FAO, etc.), and any other relevant inter-governmental institution at local and, if required, at national level
- Ensure maximum visibility of WeWorld amongst the NGO community at local level
- Direct line management of the staff based in Gaza, including recruitment, coaching, capacity building and ensuring co-ordination
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics (solve out potential conflicts)
- Supervise overall financial commitments and financial risk
- Provides directly support to Project Managers of the area of intervention in project implementation
- Lead the production of reports and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information
- Authorize the requests of expenses of the office to be submitted to Finance Manager and Country Representative
- Contribute to the recruitment of national and international staff assigned to the area
- Regular appraisals of directly supervised colleagues and provide relevant HR-related recommendation to the Country Representative
- Participate in the procurement processes as per Procurement Manual
- Participate in Administrative and Financial processes as per Finance Management SOPs
- Contracts execution: progressive stages’ quantity and quality monitoring control
- Final validation of the technical supervision of contracted works
- Ensuring final technical quality of all WeWorld technical interventions implemented through beneficiary participation
- Authorization and clearing of hand over processes and documentation
Program Development and Management
- Coordinate program development strategy and project implementation modalities with the Country Management Team
- Responsible of the initial planning design of specific projects’ activities and directly in charge of the timeless and accuracy of the implementation of the activities and their budgets, agreed with Program Manager and Country Representative
- Guarantee the follow up of the methodology agreed with Program Manager and Country Representative, under direct supervision of assigned Project Managers
- Contribute to the development of a WeWorld intervention strategy and lead its implementation at local level
- Support identification and elaboration of new project proposals and budget development, by providing a bi-yearly report to the Country Representative in collaboration with Program Manager
- Ensure a sound and consistent financial planning for the Programmes assigned to his/her area of intervention, and provide accurate timely information and data to the assigned Project Managers, and the Financial Manager
- Responsible of the quality of any final output of every line of activities within the projects assigned in his/her area, under the supervision of the dedicated Project Manager and/or Heads of Sector
Safety and Security
- In cooperation with the Country Representative, monitor the local security situation and inform Security Focal points of developments through regular verbal and, if required, written reports
- Support in updating the security guidelines in the area of intervention
- Ensure that security procedures are respected by the whole staff
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management
- Technical knowledge in the WASH and/or Livelihood sector constitutes an added value
- Project Development and proposal writing knowledge
- Project Management Cycle knowledge
- Knowledge of main donors’ policy and procedures (UN Agencies, EuropeAid, Italian Cooperation)
- Knowledge of the Palestinian context and previous experience in the Country will be strongly preferred
- Valid and clean driving license
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields.
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutions, private donors and sponsorship programs
- Extensive project development and proposal writing experience
- Experience in Budget management and financial reporting
- Experience in Security Management
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
- Ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the NGO values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Previous experience in similar positions
- Previous work experience in oPt
- Fluent in Italian, both written and verbal
How to apply
Please, send your CV and Cover Letter to the link.
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found.
Due to the large number of applications, we apologise in advance and will only respond to those profiles deemed suitable for the role.
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Poplicies.
The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency