INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Regional Director for West Africa Region da inserire nella sua operatività in Senegal. Durata 24 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 14/07/2023
Job Title : Regional Director for West Africa Region
Code : SR-00-7499
Country: Head Quarters
Duty Station: Dakar
Starting date: 21/07/2023
Contract duration: 2 years, renewable
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Supervision of : Deputy Regional Director and Head of Missions
Dependents: Family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a humanitarian organization founded in 1992, working on the frontlines of crisis situations. In its countries of operation, INTERSOS intervenes to assist the most vulnerable populations affected by conflicts, extreme exclusion, and natural and manmade disasters in challenging and hard-to-reach areas, where the humanitarian needs continue to be the greatest and where the humanitarian presence is often weak. In such contexts, INTERSOS focuses on providing forcibly displaced populations and host communities with life-saving humanitarian assistance, in the areas of Protection, Health & Nutrition, as well as WASH and Shelter.
INTERSOS operations are guided by its Charter of Values and by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence. Every intervention is characterized by the centrality of the human being, the principle from which INTERSOS values descend. Specifically, INTERSOS is borderless, impartial, independent, sensitive to local cultures, attentive to local capacity, professional in solidarity, and transparent. INTERSOS also adheres to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We recognize diversity as a core value for the Organization, in line with its fundamental principles. INTERSOS is therefore committed to creating an inclusive workplace environment that promotes diversity, equality, and inclusion. INTERSOS encourages applications from qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds, regardless of age, gender identity, race, ethnic background, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or nationality.
INTERSOS Programmes Department consists of four Regional Offices based in Amman, Dakar, Nairobi, and Rome. The Programmes Department also includes the Protection and Medical Units, which provide technical support to INTERSOS operations. As of May 2023, INTERSOS is operational in 23 countries.
General purpose of the position
The Regional Director represents INTERSOS in the geographic area and in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, is responsible for the regional planning and positioning of INTERSOS while ensuring strategic planning, implementation of identified strategies, and achievement of Missions objectives. The Regional Director represents the organization in relation to third parties in the region of assignment based on directives conferred by the Director of Programmes. The West Africa Region encompasses Nigeria, Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, and Chad.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The RD represents INTERSOS in the geographic area of his competence and, in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, has the responsibility of management, strategic planning, implementation of the strategies, and achievement of missions’ objectives.
- Design strategies, define territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, program and planning of activities together with the Deputy Regional Director
- Lead the Dakar Regional Office
- In collaboration with Deputy Regional Director guarantee the implementation of the regional strategies
- Be responsible for the overall security in the geographic area of his competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies
- Be responsible for relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities, and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborate with the Head of Missions and project leaders in the management of these relations
- Be responsible for the identification and elaboration of new project interventions: direct and support the Head of Missions and Missions’ Senior Management Teams in designing, setting up, and implementing new projects
- In agreement with the Director of Programmes approves project proposals before submission to donors
- Follow up, in coordination with Regional Finance Coordinator, the approval process at the HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors. Link with the Director of Programmes and Director General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk analysis
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director and Heads of Mission guarantees the application of INTERSOS and donors’ administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices, and countries of its competence
- In collaboration with the Human Resources department supervise the management of Human Resources and atmosphere in the missions: collaborate in the recruitment of international staff for the geographical area
- Motivate, direct, and support managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation
- Promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the Region
- Appraise the performance of the Head of Missions and is responsible to discuss the evaluation (IRP) and the achievement of objectives. Support the Head of Missions in the evaluation process of the project leaders
- Ensure full legal compliance in all countries of operation with particular attention to tax and residency requirements
- Ensure the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Program Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring, and control of the project activities
- Academic degree or extensive applied background in humanitarian and/or development studies, social science, or other relevant qualifications. Postgraduate qualifications are an asset.
- Field working experience of at least seven (7) years in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
- Professional requirements
- Good knowledge of humanitarian architecture;
- Knowledge of the humanitarian project cycle management;
- Strong computer literacy with full knowledge of MS Office;
- Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO, USAID, and UN ways of working
- Willingness and availability to travel frequently, as mobility between headquarters and field projects is vital
- Adherence to INTERSOS principles and managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment
- Adherence to INTERSOS Code of Ethics.
- Fluency in French and English is essential; other languages are an asset
- Analytical approach, strategic thinking that translates into concrete operational implementation;
- Demonstrated leadership skills;
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships;
- Excellent people management skills;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Dynamic and proactive, as well as solution-oriented approach, with a strong focus on innovation