WEWORLD sta selezionando un/a Project Manager Education da inserire nella sua operatività in Tanzania. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 21/06/2023
Position: Project Manager Education Tanzania and Kenya
Reporting Relationship: Country Representative Tanzania
Location: Dar es Salaam with travels to project’s areas in Kenya
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Line Manager upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Deadline: 21st June, 2023
Starting date: 1st July 2023
Family Duty Station: YES
WeWorld has been working in Tanzania and Kenya since 2009 with its main offices respectively in Dar es Salaam and in Nairobi. The operations of the organisation are multisectoral focusing on primary and pre-primary education in rural and urban areas with an holistic approach, besides the strengthening of peacebuilding and social cohesion along the coastal areas (Kwale County in Kenya, Tanga and Mtwara regions in Tanzania). More specifically, in Kenya WeWorld intervene to develop the resilience of population affected by the climate change (Isiolo County) and in Tanzania we developed expertise in supporting the freedom of expression and the coverage of human rights issues in the media outlets. Our main donors are the European Union, the Italian decentralised cooperation, some private foundations and Italian individuals and companies.
In July 2023 WeWorld will start implementing a new three-year project called “PAMOJA TUDUMISHE ELIMU – Promotion of quality and inclusive education for the retention and engagement of students at risk of dropping-out in Kenya and Tanzania” co-funded by the Qatar Foundation Education Above All (EAA) – Programme Educate a Child. The action will cover 47 primary and pre-primary schools of which 10 in Tanzania in urban setting (Dar Es Salaam, Kinondoni and Temeke Municipalities), and 37 in rural areas of Kenya (Migori, Homa Bay and Narok counties). The main objective is to improve the quality of education and the retention especially for the children at high risk or most at risk of drop out (around 11,000 pupils) with the engagement of teachers, parents, education and protection government authorities and all the relevant stakeholder as well as the awareness raising of the whole community on the importance to educate and protect children, especially the girls.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the successful implementation of the project’s activities, providing guidance to the project team in achieving the agreed goals within the respect of time, quality and budget standards; s/he will be accountable to the donor and s/he will be required to support the Country Representative of Tanzania in coordinating the ongoing Education projects currently implemented in the country. The Project Manager will be also required to support the Country Representatives of Kenya and Tanzania in expanding the education action of WeWorld in the two countries.
Main taks and Responsabilities
- Elaborate and implement the project’s activities and financial planning (including the establishment of milestones) to be approved by the Country Representative
- In collaboration with the Country Representative and the Programme managers, contribute to the development, upgrade and implementation of an appropriate and effective education strategy
- Develop the MEAL system and tools of the Project and supervise its application assuring a sound analysis of the results, and assessing the Project’s impact and effective use of resources
- Provide quality advise to the donors of education system and other relevant donors / stakeholders on issues that may impact the achievement of project outcomes
- Validate the work plans prepared by the local project coordinators
- Supervise quality and transparency of the data reporting
- Provide the Country Representative with regular action plans/project updates and inform him/her of any deviations from the plan
- Other tasks as requested by the line manager
Coordination and Representation:
- Establish and maintain a fruitful relationship with the partnering NGOs as well as with other local and international NGOs
- Ensure constant and cooperative relations with the donor EAA/EAC and other relevant donors (i.e. UN agencies, Italian cooperation, bilateral cooperation, etc.)
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication with the relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships
- Participate in education coordination network and meetings (called by the civil society and/or the donors), representing WeWorld and feeding back the Country Representative with relevant issues and updates
- Organize relevant meetings/presentations of the WeWorld education program to the relevant stakeholders and follow up the implementation
- Participate in internal coordination meetings held in WeWorld Offices
- Assure the recruitment and training process of the project staff in line with the implementation plan with the support of the programme managers
- Assure the direct management of the project staff and a proper information flow between the project team
- Provide technical training on education to other staff of the organization
- Provide coordination, guidance and monitoring of the project staff and lead and motivate them, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective team work
- Ensure proactive attitude and inputs towards the identification of training for staff
- Establish performance objectives per each staff and ensure that performance reviews are conducted
Monitoring of project activities:
- Definition of the monitoring plan and specific tools to assess the progress of the project
- Monitoring of activities implementation and of results/objectives achievement through field visits, meetings with partners and stakeholders, data collection and analysis
- Manage the project budget and ensure that all expenses are in line with the budget and meet WeWorld standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance, in strict collaboration with WeWorld Administrators in Tanzania, Kenya and in the Regional Unit
Reporting and Accountability:
- Setting up and monitoring of periodic (monthly) internal reporting to be filled in by partners and project staff
- Drawing up of narrative and financial reports, interim and final (in collaboration with WeWorld local office and headquarters) to be sent to the donor in compliance with agreed procedures and time schedule
- Prepare activity/project reports and analysis of the data collected on a regular basis or upon request
- Support to technical, financial and any other report upon request
- Provide regular reports/updates to the Country Representative on all activities carried out
- Any other task not here listed and necessary to the projects and activities
- During, or at the end of the assignment, provide a proper handover
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social sciences, international affairs or related fields
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- The knowledge of Swahili is a plus
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- At least three years of professional experience in international cooperation for development
- Proved experience in managing development projects funded by institutional donors
- Experience in education programming
- Experience in conflict resolution
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrable program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to assess needs and write new project proposals
- Excellent relationship-building, interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively represent WeWorld in consortium, networks and with donors
- Strong negotiation skills
- Sound verbal and written communication skills, with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders
- Proven ability to design and lead training engagements with staff and partners to enhance skills and adapt to changing program demands
- Positive attitude to work, self-reflective, motivated, inspired, collegial
- Proven ability to work well in and promote teamwork, thrive in a multi-cultural environment, be flexible and handle pressure with professional grace
- Proactive and dynamic attitude
- Good listening and communication skills
- Strong commitment to the mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Demonstrates integrity with regards to NGO values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
WHAT WE OFFER
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract
Economic conditions to be defined according to WeWorld Expatriates Compensation Policy: Base Salary (seniority/role held) + Contributions (role complex and hardship based on place of work; housing, schooling, flights for children and insurance coverage for children)
Other conditions: Tax Treatment: equal tax treatment between Italian and foreign residents is guaranteed
Annual leave: 2,5 days/month (working days)
Flight ticket: one return flight every 12 months of contract
Health insurance: covered
WHO WE ARE
WeWorld supports people in overcoming emergencies, and it strives to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. WeWorld works in 27 countries around the world, including in Italy, with more than 120 emergency, humanitarian aid and development projects. Its activities mainly involve women, girls and young people, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world.
The organization operates in several natural and man-made crisis in various regions of the world. The emergency response, coordinated by the Humanitarian Aid Unit, is composed by multi-sectorial interventions comprising of WASH, EiE, CVA, Food Security, Protection, and others. The organization operates also in protracted crisis with provision of humanitarian aid through a prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation approach.
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found. Due to the large number of applications, we apologise in advance and will only respond to those profiles deemed suitable for the role.
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Poplicies.
The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency