INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Programme Coordinator da inserire nella sua operatività in Iran. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 18/08/2023
Programme Coordinator – Iran
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Teheran
Starting date: 01/09/2023
Contract duration: 12 months renewable
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Programme Managers
Dependents: Family duty station
General context of the project
Iran faces a significant deterioration of the humanitarian situation which is likely to further worsen in the first half of 2022. The recent developments in Afghanistan are further worsening the humanitarian situation for thousands of Afghans who are currently obliged to flee their homes. It is widely anticipated that Afghanistan’s humanitarian situation may deteriorate further, given that the international support to key essential and social services – food aid, health, education, and other essential services, is currently frozen. The deterioration of the humanitarian situation led already to a massive number of displacements towards Iran.
Additionally, Iran is one of the first countries hit by Covid-19 pandemic and remains the most affected country in the Eastern Mediterranean region and among the worst hit worldwide (WHO). The third wave was even more harmful than the previous two, with the whole country in a declared state of emergency. A fourth wave is expected. COVID-19 has worsened a critical situation, both in terms of health and limited capacity to fulfil basic needs.
Concerns are further increasing for both Iranians and Afghans with limited access to basic services, especially health care, due to the impact of COVID-19, the country’s ongoing economic crisis and the difficulty to import essential medical goods. COVID-19 has a severe impact on the socio-economic situation and causes loss of employment, especially for the poorest 40% of the population. Most vulnerable Afghans and Iranians increasingly resort to negative coping mechanisms; 46 million people live below or just above the multidimensional poverty line; 32 million people are affected by some food insecurity and malnutrition, with 1 million children already at risk of severe acute malnutrition prior to COVID-19; 3 million households are female-headed, and child-headed households are on the rise. Malnutrition is increasingly visible, in particular in rural and remote areas.
For these reasons, INTERSOS has decided to open its humanitarian operations in Iran since the very first stage of the highly likely Afghan refugee’s influx. INTERSOS strategic presence in Iran will guarantee a strong and effective humanitarian response to the newly displaced as well as the most vulnerable Iranian host communities filling also the gap that the country is experiencing in terms of international humanitarian actors presence. The presence in Iran will also strategically boost INTERSOS capacity to respond to the Afghan crisis at regional level considering the over 20 years of humanitarian activity in Afghanistan.
General purpose of the position
Support the Head of Mission in the development, definition and management of the mission program in accordance with INTERSOS strategies, plans and policies. Lead the development of new concept notes and project proposals in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director and Senior Management Team. Supervise, coordinate and provide quality support to Project Managers/Programme Managers in order to develop and implement the programme in the mission.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Strategy and representation
- Support the Head of Mission and SMT in the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy, program and quality of projects in line with INTERSOS country strategy, policies and guidelines. Provide updated information, inputs and recommendation for new and ongoing interventions in the country
- In coordination with the technical referents and Deputy Regional Director lead the design and development of potential new funding opportunities and the new project concept notes/proposals drafting the narrative and contributing to the budget preparation
- Conduct regular context analysis (country’s socio-economic situation, donors trends, needs and gaps) in order to identify funding opportunities. Is accountable for properly studying data collected from the field and detect population’s needs, study the context, translate the strategic macro-objectives into concrete actions and analyze the consequences of an intervention of INTERSOS, evaluating risks and constraints and setting priorities
- Collaborate with the Head of Mission and Head of Base to actively engage and coordinate with the relevant national and local authorities as required by INTERSOS registration/legal status in country
- In coordination with the Head of Mission establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, project stakeholders, local partners and other organisations working in the area. Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations and stakeholders when possible
- In collaboration with the Head of Mission and technical referents, proactively participate and represent INTERSOS in meetings with relevant donors and stakeholders
- Support the SMT in maintaining productive working relationships within different coordination fora (clusters, working groups, etc.) at national level
Implementation, reporting and quality control
- Supervise and keep updated workplans and related financial plans of projects with the contribution of Project Managers and relevant team members. Prepare quality narrative reports reflecting the progress and status of projects in a transparent, timely and professional manner
- In coordination with all other departments ensure the smooth running of operations and support the implementation of the programme
- Provide guidance and support the Project Managers/Programme Managers in project management and project cycle, work planning, activities, budget manangement and all operational and management aspects. Support in planning and monitoring the implementation of activities, budget follow up and achievement of results
- Monitor the level of progress achieved by each project. Supervise, plan, monitor, evaluate and ensure the quality of work and the achievement of high standards in terms of design, implementation and evaluation
- Lead the kick-off planning and final review meetings for each project
- Guarantee the application of INTERSOS procedures and compliance to donor policies, procedures and procurement for reporting and implementation, in collaboration with the Head of Mission and Deputy Regional Director
- Contribute to address in a timely manner all comments by donors on proposals in liaison with relevant staffs and HQ
- Collaborate with Finance, Logistics, MEAL, SMT and Security departments in the development of fundraising documents
- Ensure that contractual obligations and reporting deadlines are known and met by all departments
- Inform relevant staffs on issues identified and seek HQ advices on potential solutions that would meet donors’ compliances
- With the support of the Country Finance Coordinator supervise the management of budgets in line with donors and INTERSOS guidelines, supporting budget and program revisions when needed
- Organise regular program meetings
- Follow up expenditures through monthly programme review meetings and financial expenditure reports prepared by the finance department
- Support the Head of Mission and MEAL department in the set up and implementation of the projects’ MEAL plans and activities
- Provide supervision and feedback on the monthly Project Appraisal Tool (PAT)
- Guarantee regular update of IMP projects sections
- Ensure high-quality donors’ reporting
- Guarantee the timely submission to HQ and donors
- Responsible for leading, supporting and supervising the Programme Managers/Project Managers strengthening their capacities and ensuring a regular evaluation through the Internal Review Process (IRP) tools. Provide coaching, identify training needs and evaluate the staffs under his hierarchical supervision
- In collaboration with the HR department and Head of Mission support the recruitment of new staffs
- In collaboration with the HR department ensure that Programme Managers/Project Managers respect INTERSOS rules and regulations and adhere to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics
Required profile and experience
BA in International Affairs, Development, International Political Economy or other relevant field
Minimum five years experience in humanitarian aid settings
- Strong knowledge of proposal development and financial management
- Experience working with major grants and international donors
- Desirable experience in managing integrated projects
- Essential computer literacy (Google Suite desiderable)
English is essential
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Leadership, team management and cooperation
- Behavioral flexibility
- Negotiation skills and decision-making skills
- Diplomatic, interpersonal and good communication skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/63f8c99089448800274a3079/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.