UN PONTE PER sta selezionando un/a Project Manager – Health System Strengthening (HSS) da inserire nella sua operatività in Siria. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 16/07/2023
Position Title: Project Manager
Location: North East Syria
Duration: Contract of 1 year, with 3 months’ probation, with possibility of renewal
Closing date of the vacancy: 16th July 2023 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: September/October 2023
Context presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is a voluntary association founded in 1991, immediately after the bombing of Iraq, which promotes solidarity initiatives for Iraqis who suffered during the war. Un Ponte Per works in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy, it promotes peace and disarmament, defends the common goods, and welcomes refugees and migrants. The aim of UPP is the prevention of new conflicts, particularly in the Middle East. This is achieved through advocacy campaigns, programs which educate and encourage cultural exchange, collaborative projects and peaceful civil interventions. For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
CONTEXT BACKGROUND: UPP is present in North East Syria (NES) since 2015, and it is one of the main actors active in the sector of health. In the last year, due to the long-term needs and gaps assessed by UPP, and to the scarcity of opportunities to identify and promote options for reinforcing the health system and to increase opportunities for capacity building in the area, UPP developed pilot interventions funded by the EU to identify and implement options to strengthen the health system and increasing its sustainability with a development/early recovery lens, and specifically address the particular needs and constraints of the target areas. The project “ISHRAF – Identifying and Scoping options for Health Systems Resilience and stewardship to improve Access and Financial Sustainability”, ending in September 2023, will be followed by a multi-year project and UPP is currently looking for an experienced Project Manager to ensure their sound start up, management and coordination, and closing out.
Role and Responsibilities
Un Ponte Per is looking for one international Project Manager that will be responsible of the following major tasks:
Project activities planning, implementation and monitoring
- Ensuring the overall management of the projects in line with the project description, the Work Plan, the timeline and the budget, donor’s requirements and red lines, and UPP Guidelines, Policies and SoPs, and ensuring that expected results are achieved;
- Developing a detailed Work plan of the project, and following the timely implementation of project’s activities in strict coordination with the HQ Desk, the mission HoP, the Governance Medical Coordinator and the Governance Support Department, the Specialists, the Admin Department, the Logistic Department and MEAL department;
- Ensuring the continuous coordination between the above mentioned departments and other relevant departments through regular project’s meetings and other coordination tools;
- Guaranteeing the constant monitoring of the activities and achievement of the project’s outputs and results, in coordination with the MEAL department, the Governance Med.Co. and the Specialists;
- Planning and managing the financial resources allocated to the project upon UPP administrative procedures and relevant Policies, donor requirements and approved expenditure forecasts, in coordination with the Admin department, and ensure the needed financial resources are available on time for the implementation of activities, supporting the technical staff in the use of financial resources if needed;
- Guaranteeing the timely procurement of the goods and services and the organization of events for the implementation of project’s activities and, in coordination with the Logistic department, ensuring that procurements follow internal rules as well as donor’s rules;
- Contributing in the selection of local and international staff to deploy in the project, in coordination with HR Department and in line with the procedures provided by UPP HR Manual;
- Managing project staff according to UPP Staff Handbook and coordinating staff movements;
- Support the HQ Desk in coordinating with the international partners in the project in the planning of their activities and especially during field visits;
- Support the HQ Desk in coordinating with the donor and ensure continuous and transparent communication flow with the HQ Desk and the HoP in terms of potential risks and exposures arising at field level that might compromise the good implementation or challenge donor’s requirements, sensitivities and red lines;
- Carrying out constant field visit to supervise the implementation of the activities;
- Organizing and implementing a mid-term lessons learned workshop at the end of every year, and a final lessons learned workshop at the end of the Action.
- Preparing and/or coordinating the preparation of complete and accurate quarterly, interim (annual) and final reports according to donor’s requirements. If needed, writing further periodic report for internal and external use and support the preparation of Modification Requests;
- Overseeing financial reporting in a timely and accurate manner in coordination with the Admin dep.;
- Ensuring that the overall relevant project documentation (legal, financial, HR, MEAL, etc.) is compliant with UPP standards, up to date, accurate, well stored and organized, available, and easy to consult at any time;
- Ensuring constant communication flow and continuous reporting to Line Managers (HQ Desk and HoP).
Coordination, representation and communication
- Guaranteeing a constant and fruitful coordination with the partners in the project, maintaining constant communication (sharing documents, updates, tools) and carrying out periodic meetings and field visits;
- Ensuring communication flows across the projects operational team and between the field and HQ levels is continuous, prompt, accurate and collaborative and the requested information about the project progresses, critical events, bottlenecks, planning and financial insight are immediately available;
- Liaising with other INGOs and local NGOs, coordination platforms and other stakeholders as needed for the good project implementation;
- Participating to all the relevant humanitarian coordination working groups and meetings if needed.
- Participating in the elaboration of new project proposals and concept notes (elaboration of the project idea, stakeholders’ engagement and involvement, etc.);
- If needed, contributing to the elaboration, coordination and implementation of need assessments;
- Contributing to the writing of high-quality concept notes and project proposals.
- University degree in international relations, development cooperation, literature or similar. A technical degree in relevant topics (health or public health) is considered a strong asset;
- At least 5 years of experience as international Project Manager in the field for development cooperation/humanitarian projects with budget over 2 MLN USD/EUR, including activities’ planning and supervision, budget management, donor’s administrative procedures and reporting. Previous experience in the management of EU-funded projects and in INGOs is considered a strong asset;
- Good knowledge on topics related to health care system, health system strengthening and recovery, health public health management. Previous experience in the management of health projects is considered a strong asset;
- Excellent command and understanding of the project life cycle management from need assessment to evaluation;
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives;
- Previous experience working under pressure and/or in hardship duty station;
- Team working skills and proactive attitude;
- Experience of reporting and monitoring to tight deadlines;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coordinate activities;
- Determined and committed to high quality standards;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure, while maintaining flexibility and professional approach;
- Excellent oral and written English, Arabic and Kurdish;
- Good command of basic Excel and Word functions.
- Previous experience in the management of health care projects with EU funding will be considered a strong asset;
- Experience in working with local authorities and in coordination with local and international stakeholders;
- Knowledge of the guidelines, including administrative procedures, of the major funding bodies (EU, ECHO, UN, BHA, etc.);
- Experience facilitating the organization of trainings, workshops and events;
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. UPP participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, therefore, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and that s/he will not in the future. UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates that might compromise candidates’ privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
HOW TO APPLY Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process data on the base of the EU Regulation 2016/679 – GDPR and a brief cover letter (PDF format) that includes the contact information for three Professional References (relevant and recent) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “PM HSS – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application and name the files attached to your application as surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc.