COOPI – COOPERAZIONE INTERNAZIONALE sta selezionando un/a Head of Mission da inserire nella sua operatività in Siria. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Tempo det. Scadenza candidature 18/09/2023
COOPI is looking for a Head of Mission in Syria
COOPI has been active in its humanitarian action in Syria (Damascus) since 2016. The protracted crisis in Syria has intensified needs over the past year through a complex and deepening socio-economic crisis, knock-on effects of Covid-19, cholera outbreaks and major losses in the food production sector. In 2023 COOPI has been providing FSL, Early Recovery and Protection support in Aleppo, Raqqa, Homs, Hamas, Rural Damascus and Dara’a implementing programs funded by different donors (UNHCR, OCHA and AICS). COOPI’s main office is based in Damascus and COOPI teams are present in two field offices: one in Hama and one in Aleppo.
Purpose of the role
The Head of Mission (HoM) provides leadership and strategic direction of COOPI’s operations in Syria, in collaboration with the Regional Coordinator, and is responsible for the implementation and development of the country programme in line with COOPI’s organisational and country strategy, policies and procedures. The HoM is also responsible for the management and capacity building of the staff, securing donor funding and representing the organisation to the government, donors, and other appropriate bodies – including clusters, UN agencies and the media. The HoM reports directly to the Regional Coordinator.
- manage relations with the main institutional donors for the ongoing projects;
- represent COOPI in the country/area by engaging in relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations and partners to guarantee the quality implementation of the projects;
- to be responsible for the organization’s reputation in the country.
Strategy and planning
- verify and propose to the Regional Coordinator the intervention priorities to consolidate the organization’s opportunity to be more involved in the country;
- Contribute to the definition of the Country Strategy.
- coordinate the elaboration, writing and documents preparation for presenting new projects;
- coordinate and monitor the projects, guaranteeing the correct implementation in conformity with the contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with COOPI’s procedures and management standards.
Country office management
- to be responsible for all different aspects related to the country office management: in conformity with the organization’s guidelines;
- guarantee the respect of the country’s legislation and administrative regulation.
Finance and Administration
- to be responsible for the country’s economic results;
- supervise the financial management in collaboration with the Country Administrator and ensure that all financial reporting deadlines and donor/COOPI procedures are respected;
- participate in the projects/coordination budget preparation.
Safety and Security
- to be responsible for the expatriate staff security, for the correct implementation and respect of the general security rules.
- to be responsible for the local staff management;
- participate and support the Regional Coordinator in the selection of the expatriate staff;
- coordinate and monitor the country’s expatriate staff management.
- supervise the preparation of projects reports and all the monitoring documents requested;
- ensure the transmission of all official and administrative project documents.
- cooperate with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fundraising activities implemented in and for the country.
- Advanced degree in International Development, Business administration, Social Science or Law. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- Minimum 5 years experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Experience working on one or more of the main donors, with priority to ECHO, UNHCR, AICS, OCHA, USAID and WFP;
- Experience working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management;
- Experience in managing expatriate staff and missions with more than 50 staff members.
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Institutional relations management and cultural context understanding;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Italian and Arabic will be an asset;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO in a similar context will be an asset.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. For more than 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.