INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Health & Nutrition Coordinator da inserire nella sua operatività in Yemen. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 13/10/2023
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Health & Nutrition Coordinator
Duty station: Sana’a and Aden (50% N and 50% S) and roving in all the bases of Yemen
Starting date: 01/12/2023
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Programmes
Supervision of:2 Deputy Health Coordinators (1 North and 1 South)
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS works in Yemen since 2008, implementing multi-sector programming, with its main sectors being protection, integrated health-nutrition, livelihoods, and WASH. INTERSOS’ target populations are: all conflict affected populations (IDPs, returnees and host communities), in both rural and urban areas, refugees and asylum seekers and migrants, with specific focus on women/girls and children (including unaccompanied and separated minors) and persons with specific needs. Since 2015, INTERSOS has been implementing health programming (with integration of nutrition). With the rapidly collapsing Yemeni health care system, it has been paramount to support partially and non-functional health facilities to prevent total collapse/meltdown of health care system. Next to support for primary health care services, INTERSOS ensures also attention for Secondary Health care to ensure referral services, while supporting the WHO/MOPHP strategy to ensure the minimum service package (MSP). INTERSOS is an active member of the health and nutrition clusters both at central and hub level.
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the Head of Mission, Head of Programmes and the Medical Unit, defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission. Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Responsible for defining, implementing and updating the medical content of the INTERSOS country medical strategy translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk.
- Overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by INTERSOS projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centred activities
- Continuously monitor the medical and humanitarian needs in the country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through exploratory missions, monitor and review project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Coordinate with the Medical Unit for the validation of the project proposals he/her designs to be submitted to international donors and private foundation
- Responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Country Logistics and supply Coordinator, the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analysing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication). Coach and directly support the medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of local Ministry and Health Department
- Responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics and supply Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission and supervision of the utilisation of the Inventory Management System (IMS) by the medical staff, including projects. Provide reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required
- Represent INTERSOS before local medical authorities and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in medicine or other paramedical studies. Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a degree in Public Health
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with government (MOPHP in particular) counterparts
- Experience with Health and Nutrition Clusters and different working groups – general and SAGs.
- Proven experience with donor compliance, proposal, budget design, and reporting
- Excellent computer skills
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and information management systems relevant to the health and nutrition sectors
- Demonstrated training and coaching experience
- Demonstrate experience with integrated programming (health, nutrition, protection (MH/PSS), WASH, etc.)
- Min 4 years of professional experience working as project manager in health sector and 2 years as medical coordinator in complex emergency setting is required; min 2 years in Arab world.
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Strategic vision and planning
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- High flexibility
- Constructive critical thinking
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Arabic would be an asset (read and write), but ideally Arab native speaker with excellent English skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.