INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Regional Director, East and Central Africa da inserire nella sua operatività in Kenya. Durata 24 mesi. Tipo contratto: Tempo det. Scadenza candidature 09/12/2023
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Regional Director, East and Central Africa
Duty station: Nairobi
Starting date: 15/01/2024
Contract duration: 2 years (6 months probation), renewable
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Supervision of: Heads of Mission, Deputy Regional Director
Functional supervision of: N/A
Type of duty station: Family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a humanitarian organisation founded in 1992, working on the frontlines of crisis situations. In its countries of operation, INTERSOS intervenes to assist the most vulnerable populations affected by conflicts, extreme poverty, natural and manmade disasters in challenging and hard-to-reach areas, where the humanitarian needs continue to be the greatest and where the humanitarian presence is often weak. In such contexts, INTERSOS focuses on providing forcibly displaced populations and host communities with life-saving humanitarian assistance, in the areas of Protection, Health & Nutrition, as well as WASH and Shelter. INTERSOS operations are guided by its Charter of Values and by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence. Every intervention is characterized by the centrality of the human being, the principle from which INTERSOS values descend. Specifically, INTERSOS is borderless, impartial, independent, sensitive to local cultures, attentive to local capacity, professional in solidarity, and transparent. INTERSOS also adheres to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief. INTERSOS Programmes Department consists of four Regional Offices based in Amman, Dakar, Nairobi and Rome. The Programmes Department also includes the Protection and Medical Units, which provide technical support to INTERSOS operations. As of December 2022, INTERSOS is operational in 23 countries.
We recognize diversity as a core value for the Organization, in line with its fundamental principles. INTERSOS is, therefore, committed to creating an inclusive workplace environment that promotes diversity, equality, and inclusion. INTERSOS encourages applications from qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds, regardless of age, gender identity, race, ethnic background, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or nationality.
INTERSOS has been active in the East and Central Africa region since 1992 and is currently present in South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the Central African Republic. Additionally, the regional office also oversees the activities in Tunisia and Libya. Teams count over 550 members, including around 35 expatriate employees, and the region has supported more than 5 million persons in 2022. Using data from the field to draw the attention of the humanitarian community to the vulnerabilities, INTERSOS is an active member of the national INGO Fora. The UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, the Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs (BHA), the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation, and private foundations are important donors.
General purpose of the position
The Regional Director represents INTERSOS in the geographic area and in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, is responsible for the regional planning and strategic positioning of INTERSOS while ensuring strategic planning, implementation of identified strategies and achievement of Mission objectives. The Regional Director represents the organisation in relation to third parties in the region of assignment based on directives conferred by the Director of Programmes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The RD represents INTERSOS in the geographic area of his competence and, in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, is responsible for management, strategic planning, implementation of the strategies, and achievement of missions’ objectives.
- Design strategies, define territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, programming and planning of activities together with the Deputy Regional Director
- Develop Nairobi into a fully functional Regional Office, capable of high-level engagement within all relevant fora, to position INTERSOS to expand and consolidate relevant presence
- In collaboration with Deputy Regional Director, guarantee the implementation of the regional strategies and analyse the critical factors of contexts
- Is responsible for the overall security in the geographic area of his competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies
- Is responsible for relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities, and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborates with Head of Missions and project leaders in the management of these relations
- Is responsible for the identification and elaboration of new project interventions: direct and support the Head of Missions and project leaders in designing, setting up, and implementing new projects in agreement with the Director of Programmes approves project proposals before the submission to donors
- Follow up, in coordination with the Regional Finance Coordinator, the approval process at the HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors.
- Link with the Director of Programmes and the Director General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk analysis
- Supervise implementation of projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency)
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director and the Head of Missions, guarantee the application of INTERSOS and donors’ administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices, and countries of competence
- In collaboration with the Human Resources department, supervise the management of Human Resources and atmosphere in the missions:
– collaborate to recruit international Human Resources for the geographical area
– motivate direct and support managers and teams, encouraging cohesion and motivation
– promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region
– appraise the performance of the Head of Missions and is responsible for discussing the evaluation
- (IRP) and the achievement of objectives.
- Support the Head of Missions in the evaluation process of the project leaders
- Ensure full legal compliance in all countries of operation with particular attention to tax and residency requirements
- Ensure the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Program Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring, and control of the project activities
Required profile and experience
Academic degree or extensive applied background in humanitarian and/or development studies, social science, or other relevant qualifications. Postgraduate qualifications are an asset.
Field working experience of at least seven (7) years in managing humanitarian programs with increasing responsibilities
- Good knowledge of humanitarian architecture;
- Knowledge of the humanitarian project cycle management;
- Strong computer literacy with full knowledge of MS Office;
- Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO, USAID, and UN ways of working;
- Willingness and availability to travel frequently, as mobility between headquarters and field projects is vital;
- Adherence to INTERSOS principles and managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment;
- Adherence to INTERSOS Code of Ethics.
- Fluency in French and English is essential; other languages like Italian are an asset
- Analytical approach, strategic thinking that translates into concrete operational implementation;
- Demonstrated leadership skills;
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships;
- Excellent people management skills;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Dynamic and proactive, as well as solution-oriented approach, with a strong focus on innovation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.