INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Head of Mission da inserire nella sua operatività in Libano. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 22/12/2023
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Mission
Duty station: Beirut, with regular presence in the four (4) field offices established in Mount Lebanon (Beirut), Bekaa (Zahleh), South (Tyre)
Starting date: 01/02/2024
Contract duration: 12 months (initial 3 months probation contract)
Reporting to: Regional Director for Middle East
Supervision of: Senior management team (SMT) members
Type of duty station: Accompanied duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been operational in Lebanon, in response to the consequences of the Syrian crisis, since 2012.
The current program focuses on providing timely support to vulnerable Syrian refugees and hosting community members alike, living in hosting communities and in unofficial camps settings.
The program covers four (4) Governorates of the Country, from north to the south, through activities coordinated by the Coordination office in Beirut, and implemented through the four (4) field offices established in Mount Lebanon (Beirut), Bekaa (Zahleh), Akkar (Tripoli), South (Tyre).
General purpose of the position
The Head of Mission represents INTERSOS in the country and acts on behalf of the Director General, leading the organization’s response, including strategy design, planning resources, management and implementation of programmes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Strategy and vision:
- Is responsible for monitoring and analysing the political and humanitarian situation across the country and surrounding countries through established contacts and carrying out exploratory missions to identify potential fields of intervention. Design, propose, elaborate and develop new strategy of interventions in line with INTERSOS values and principles.
- Explore and present funding opportunities that integrate initiatives and leverage impact
- for the communities; support and direct fund-raising activities with institutional and private donors.
- Monitor donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country. Guarantee the strict observance and adherence to INTERSOS and donors’ procedures.
- Overview the development and implementation of projects and programs and through periodic visits to the areas of intervention, evaluate their evolution and quality as per internal and external standards and requirements, final results and achievements to ensure that the organization’s technical and ethical standards are respected and objectives are achieved.
- Greenlight project proposals and responses to emergencies to be submitted to HQ for approval. Evaluate potential emergency responses in the country and lead on developing additional programmes in line with review and assessment results.
- Lead the detailed country strategy planning process and prioritising of actions and resources to achieve programme objectives.
Representation and advocacy:
- Represent the organisation and manage relations with the authorities ensuring smooth and timely implementation of planned interventions and safeguarding impartiality and independence.
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organisation in compliance with the host country formalities.
- Maintain a productive communication with donors and ensure that the assessed needs are communicated to impact on donors’ priorities.
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant fora.
- Ensure that the country senior management team is effective, mutually supporting and sufficiently involved in key decision-making processes.
- In coordination with the HR Coordinator, guide and supervise the staff performance process.
- Ensure the respect organisational values, Code of Ethics, Organization Management and Control Model, and INTERSOS procedures.
- Maintain high ethical standards and promote teamwork and ensure a productive working environment.
- Empower staff to meet organizational goals and work as a highly functioning and cooperative team.
Finance, logistics and supply:
- Together with the Country Finance Coordinator, define and oversee the overall financial management of the mission, striving towards financial sustainability and assume responsibility for the mission funds management (NGO budget).
- Ensure that allocated resources are managed effectively and transparently.
- Together with the Logistics and Supply Coordinator, ensure that required and efficient supply services and processes are in place.
Safety and security:
- Hold final accountability for security, including development and validation of country security plan and ensuring adherence to procedures, monitoring of the context development, analysis and provision of recommendations.
- Regularly interact with the Regional Office and the Global Security Advisor on security issues.
- Hold final responsibility for any decision concerning security in the country.
Accountability and quality control:
- In collaboration with the SMT is responsible to produce and submit the mission monthly activity reports.
- Continuously assess, analyse and evaluate the impact of the country programme and operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention, in collaboration with the Programme Coordinator.
- Oversee programme quality and impact in line with established strategic objectives and related indicators.
- Oversee program reporting, ensuring compliance with INTERSOS policies and procedures, donor regulations and national requirements.
Required profile and experience
University degree in Project management, International Affairs, Development, International Political Economy or other relevant field.
- Eight years experience in management positions in humanitarian aid settings
- Knowledge of the humanitarian coordination mechanism
- Previous experience in Middle East region is an asset
- Proven experience in management of EU (mainly ECHO), UN (mainly UNHCR), and US funds (PRM), AICS if possible
- Experience in security and risk management
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context, the humanitarian system, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context
- Strong knowledge of donor’s procedures notably UN agencies (UNHCR, OCHA, UNFPA), AICS, ECHO, PRM
- Very strong skills in computer (excel) and admin/finance procedures
- Highly able to keep confidentiality
- Able to work independently and under stress
- Organization skills, delegative and empowerment approach of the supervised team, but capacity to be hands-on and pay attention to details
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- English is compulsory, Italian is an advantage.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
- Excellent communication and negotiations skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Ability to work in a complex environment within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.