INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Logistics Coordinator da inserire nella sua operatività in Afghanistan. Durata 12 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 01/12/2023
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Logistics Coordinator
Duty station: Kabul with frequent travels to field locations
Starting date: 01/01/2024
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to:Country Director
Supervision of:Logistics team
Functional Supervisor:Regional Logistics Coordinator
Type of duty station:Non-family duty station
General context of the project
Over 40 years of conflicts and political turmoil have taken a massive cumulative toll on the people of Afghanistan. A total of 18.4 million people, almost half of the total population, have been estimated by the UN to need humanitarian assistance prior to recent events. Severe droughts are recurring in Afghanistan, currently resulting in nearly 14 million people in acute food insecurity, with over 3 million children facing severe malnourishment. The recent displacement of 550,000 people is adding to an estimated 2.9 million people who remain internally displaced and in need of humanitarian assistance, while winter months are around the corner.
INTERSOS has been working in Afghanistan since 2001, with a country office in Kabul, and field bases in Kandahar and Zabul provinces. In recent years INTERSOS has been focusing its assistance based on integrated community-based approach that includes primary health care (including sexual and reproductive health care), nutrition and protection programmes serving conflict-affected populations, particularly in hard-to-reach areas, with a special focus on socially excluded individuals, including women, children and persons living with disabilities.
With its operational approach and active engagement with the communities, INTERSOS has been enjoying strong community acceptance and operational access. All INTERSOS activities continue to be implemented in Afghanistan at present time, with no operational restrictions and with full inclusion of female staff.
It is widely anticipated that Afghanistan’s humanitarian situation may deteriorate further, given that the international support to key essential and social services – food aid, health, education, and other essential services, is currently frozen. Although humanitarian aid can not replace this gap, the international assistance that prioritises urgent humanitarian needs will be essential.
At the same time, unless the operational environment with all its impediments (including in relation to banking/cash transfers and counter-terrorism measures) does not improve, the response will continue to be a challenge.
Recognising that the humanitarian situation in Afghanistan will require a more intensified international humanitarian assistance, INTERSOS remains in Afghanistan to deliver its ongoing activities, and potentially scale up its response.
General purpose of the position
Defining and implementing all supply and technical logistics strategies and support to the mission, ensuring the pertinence and coherence of logistics and supply programmes, adequacy of the means provided and the compliance to INTERSOS standard, protocols and procedures in order to enable the development of the mission in perfect working conditions and optimise the impact of the projects. The Logistics Coordinator will work closely with Program and administrative staff to ensure comprehensive reporting, support and assistance to all INTERSOS activities. The Logistics Coordinator is responsible for the logistics management of IMP software.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Participate actively in the definition and update of annual project planning and budgets, defining strategies and providing advice to the CD in the translation of the identified logistics/technical needs into objectives, priorities and resources needed for the mission
- Responsible for monitoring the implementation of logistics/technical activities in the mission (construction and rehabilitation, stock and supply of medical and non-medical material, fleet management and transport, water and sanitation, vehicles and engines, equipment/installation and infrastructures, Security rules (implementation and enforcement, ICT, assets etc.)
- Ensure compliance of INTERSOS standards, protocols and procedures, across the mission and according to donor requirements including procurement, and reporting to the CD on the development of the ongoing programmes and proposing reorientation strategies when needed
- Provides monthly reporting to the CD and Regional Logistics Coordinator (through IMP) and related people on projects/mission evolution from the technical/logistics perspective and propose corrections if needed
- Coordinates the Logistics team and participates to the HR processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
- Responsible for ensuring technical reference and support for all logistics/technical issues in the mission, providing coaching to logistics staff and representing INTERSOS in meetings with Authorities and other NGOs for technical/logistics related issues
- Responsible for ensuring installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and guesthouses facilities in an adequate living condition as well as all the equipment required
- Responsible for ensuring the proper purchase use, maintenance and registration of IT assets and office equipment (computers, software, backups, etc.) and communication tools as well as the communication means in the Mission (including numbers, frequencies), allowing permanent communication between capital, projects, bases and HQ. Ensuring all staff in the Mission benefits from proper training on how to use communications equipment available in the Mission (e.g. satellite phones, HF/VHF radios, computers, etc.)
- In collaboration with the CD, is responsible for co-defining and monitoring the technical aspects of the risk reduction policy, transport, communication, protection, identification and preparation of the technical aspects of the mission security policy and guidelines, evacuation plan and contingency plan, monitoring on a daily basis the security rules observation and reporting to theCD of any problem. For this purpose, in case of absence of a dedicated Security Focal Point, the Logistics Coordinator will have to create an appropriate environment to facilitate exchange of information on security situation and will be the security back up in the absence of the Country Director
- Coordinate with Finance Department to ensure that payment processes to suppliers are made on-time and respecting the financial systems
- Plan and perform field audits to ensure consistency in process application and proper documentation and filing are maintained
- Monitoring overall procurement performance for the Mission. Ensure effective and cost efficient procurement planning by liaising with technical staff, Heads of Base and/or Project Managers to ensure that procurement plans are detailed, in place and up to date. Carry out research to ascertain the best products and suppliers in terms of best value, delivery schedules and quality
- Develop and implement service contract management instructions, policies and procedures. Examine and re-evaluate existing service contracts and overseeing regular rent, utilities payments (i.e., electricity, water, gas, etc.), office and guesthouses maintenance contracts and running costs procedures. Ensure that they are properly handled by Logistics Assistants, Administration and/or Focal Points
- Maintain and update an established suppliers list per base, in coordination with logistics staff and Finance Department
- Is responsible for ensuring the good storage of all projects materials within warehouse/stock, in respect of the INTERSOS Supply SOPs
- Check and coordinate with logistics staff that goods deliveries are done as planned and properly stored
- Ensure that the fleet is checked, regularly maintained and that vehicles are insured and taxes are paid
- Follow-up on proper monitoring of fuel consumption and use of vehicle log-book, maintenance log, oil log and other fleet formats and templates by field logistics staff. Ensure that proper documentation of vehicles (i.e. lease, insurance, mechanical inspection, etc.) is properly handled by logistics staffs
- Initiate regular fixed assets and inventory check on a quarterly basis
- Ensure the production of mission level’s SOPs (if needed) for the Logistics needs
Required profile and experience
Masters/Post graduate academic qualification on Logistics and Supply Chain Management or related disciplines.
Minimum of 5 years of professional experience for Masters/Post graduate holders or 7-10 years for bachelor’s holders in an International NGO out of which 4 years should be supervisory/managerial experience.
- Extensive experience in Logistics related skills as listed above (managing supplies, assets, team support, vehicle fleet management, and communication);
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills;
- A proven record of effective management of people and resources, including planning and organisational skills
- Excellent negotiation skills, and good interpersonal and team skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Experience of management/supervisory responsibilities, including support to development of others (including mentoring/ coaching, and team building experience);
- Willingness to travel app. 40% to field bases;
- Experience in insecure environments, and knowledge of the principles of security management;
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Intersos;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action;
- Commitment to Intersos’s equal opportunity, Safeguarding and gender policies.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into logistics programmes an advantage.
- Strong leadership qualities to manage the team, motivate them and to influence other colleagues to perform, both within logistics and across other functions.
- Excellent communication/networking skills to enable his/her team to articulate any issues to management as well as other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, to make decisions independently and to analyse data and understand connections.
- Have a procedural mindset, understanding of quality management principles, and give attention to details.
- Be an individual with high standards of integrity, with excellent negotiating skills and ability to manage external relationships.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Pashto and/or Dari language is an added value
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.