INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Head of Programme da inserire nella sua operatività in Ucraina. Durata 6 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 20/12/2023
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Programme
Duty station: Kiev-based and roving in the different INTERSOS operational field-based.
Starting date: 02/01/2023
Contract duration: 6 months (renewable)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Programme managers, protection coordinator, medical coordinator, Grants & reporting manager
Functional Supervisor: Deputy Regional Director
Type of duty station: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The war broke out in Ukraine in Febrauary 2022. Since then, millions of people have fled to the neighboring countries, raising big concerns on how to manage such an immense flux of people. Shortly after the outbreak of the conflict INTERSOS set up its emergency response from Ukraine in April 2022. Currently the team in Ukraine is operating across two main operational hubs for East and South. All INTERSOS interventions are embedded in a programmatic approach to respond to the multisectoral needs of the conflict-affected population, focusing on Protection, Health and NFIs response serving internally displaced persons (IDPs), their host communities in areas of displacement, and emergency humanitarian assistance in frontline and newly accessible areas. The project portfolio in Ukraine is supported by several donors and in line with its localisation strategy, INTERSOS works with different local partners across all oblasts of intervention.
General purpose of the position
The Head of Programme is responsible for the overall programme strategy across the country and for providing technical input to the team within the different sectors.
S/he is also responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within the respective area of responsibility. S/he will enable and oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the activities across the country and s/he is finally responsible for the development of the portfolio, ensuring consistent donors reporting, internal and external representation. Ultimately, s/he will be active in high level and strategic decision-making, collaborating closely with the Country Director and the Senior Management team.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Strategy and vision
- Together with the Country Director and the Senior Management team, contribute to the development and update of the country strategy, within INTERSOS overall global strategic plan, values and principles
- Work as part of the Senior Management Team to share ideas and programme recommendations, supporting and implementing continuous improvement on activities, processes and procedures to optimise results and improve quality of delivery in line with quality standards
- Determine, set and deliver goals and objectives for the programme team in line with the mission strategic objectives
- Develop in collaboration with technical referents, high quality programme strategies and proposals in relevance with context and needs.
- Develop holistic and needs-based programmes, identifying funding opportunities and strategic partnerships.
- Design and roll-out creative and innovative programming, lead assessments for rapid response or scale-up programming in existing or new areas of intervention
- Together with the Country Director and the Head of Operations, create and implement best practice programme management vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve organizational performance
- Supervise the design of standards and processes with the relevant technical referent at Mission level**.**
- Supervise and guide the program team (Programme Managers, Grants Managers, Technical Coordinators)
- Ensure programme coordination and coherence across portfolio
- Ensure programme and project reviews are regularly and effectively conducted, monitor the delivery of programmes based on work plan
- Together with the Head of Operations, ensure adequate resources allocation are provisioned to deliver programmes.
- Trigger and oversee the design of concept notes, proposals and budgets for cost-related activities in coordination with Programme Managers and Grants Manager and in line with INTERSOS and donors’ requirements
- Ensure timely communication and information flow on programme achievements to internal and external parties
Accountability and quality control
- Oversee and support continuous improvement of programme quality standards
- Oversee the programme development, implementation, ensuring targets and quality are respected in collaboration with MEAL department
- Ensure the appropriate systems and procedures are established and followed, ensuring best practices in project management are developed and adopted with appropriate programme management frameworks in place
Representation and advocacy
- Together with the Country Director and Heads of Base, establish strong and efficient partnerships with organisations, donors and authorities, in line with the country strategy
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant coordination forums
- Contribute to the definition of the country advocacy strategy and represent INTERSOS within national and international media and participate in community activities as appropriate
- Upon delegation of authority, act as Country Director when needed
- Lead the program team ensuring daily supervision and regular support to maximise efficient performance
- Communicate with the program team on programme status, risks and issues in an appropriate and timely manner. Ensure regular and timely communication between project team members
- Monitor the completion of tasks and ensure good performance and record on appropriate systems
- Motivate and coach the program team. Communicate key performance Indicators (KPIs) to the staffs so that they are aware of the strategic annual plan
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member understands the standards and the behaviours expected
- In collaboration with the HR coordinator, undertake continuous training and staffs’ development. Inspire the team and provide technical expertise
- In collaboration with Protection and/or Medical coordinator, support the identification and deployment of the technical skill sets, resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources as required
Required profile and experience
- Higher education: Economics, Administrative and Financial Management, Political Science.
- University degree in humanitarian issues. Alternatively solid field experience
- Essential working experience of at least five years in related activities at Senior Management level
- Desirable previous experience with NGOs
- Experience in setting up new projects and programmes and of developing and implementing departmental and organisational strategies
- Experience of planning, budgeting and executing complex strategies
- Experience in managing medical, protection and interdepartmental technical staffs
- Experience in the implementation of activities funded by UN, BHA or ECHO donors and/or other donors
- Good project proposal and report writing skills
- Good capacity to analyse the context and possibilities for expansion of the mission/operations
- Ukrainian desirable
- Russian desirable
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Strategic vision
- Leadership, people management and development
- Planning and organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Negotiation and networking skills
- Behavioural flexibility
- Innovation and creativity
- Decision-making and influence
- Communication skills written and oral
- Excellent budget/financial management skills
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.